Laughter Yoga is a series of mild cardio exercises, voluntarily done sitting or standing, with the express purpose of inducing laughter. To understand the dynamics of such a session, please try one. It takes only 20 minutes, needs no experience or equipment and its always free. Come to Perfect Christmas Tree Farm, on every Sunday at 7:00 PM, NOW, until June 11, 2017.
By breathing gently and doing playful exercises, we soon reach crescendos of excited belly laughter. No tricks, no tickling, no alcohol and no jokes. The laughter comes straight from the heart as pure joy. We go to the gym for physical exercise, but a Laughter Yoga session is a gym of the soul. 😊 Laughter Yoga is nonpolitical, nonreligious, non-racial, non-threatening and non-competitive.
Laughter is the easiest form of meditation. It brings instant relaxation in a pleasant way. Dr. Lee Berk of California labels laughter as a state of eustress, which in psychological terms, is the opposite of distress. Specifically, his research concludes that laughter:
Benefit of Laughter Yoga 😊
• Increases the secretion of immunoglobulin A which helps protect against respiratory tract infections and strengthens the immune system.
• Increases gamma interferon – the immune system’s frontline defense against viruses.
• Increases B cells that produce antibodies directly against harmful bacteria.
• Increases complement 2, a combination of proteins that acts as a catalyst in antibody reactions.
• The act of laughter instantly lowers blood pressure for hypertensive persons, stimulates the brain, expands and enriches the blood vessels with oxygen, and sends more blood racing to the extremities.
• Laughter vastly reduces levels of the stress hormones epinephrine & cortisol in the body and instantly relieves stress, tension, and depression. Conversely, the happiness hormone oxytocin level is enhanced which triggers a spike in immune-boosting antibodies.
• Sustained laughter gradually increases the levels of cytokine in the blood – a white blood cell enhancer which builds antibodies and helps prevent illnesses.
• Laughter increases the levels of endorphins in the body –natural pain killers which greatly help in coping with the suffering from arthritis, spondylitis, migraine and muscular spasms, and all aches and pains.
• Laughter causes the tissue of blood vessels – endothelium – to expand and therefore increase blood flow – exactly what aerobic exercise does. During mirthful laughter, the joy-inducing chemical neuropeptide is released into the body, something cancer patients are prescribed at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars per shot. Finally, the chemical opioid which produces the obvious calming effect associated with its name, and also enhances the immune system.
• Laughter is a form of internal jogging and provides the same health benefits as any aerobic exercise by stimulating the heart and blood circulation. Laughter burns up to 400 calories per hour!
• Laughter increases lung capacity and therefore promotes the body’s ability to store oxygen. That helps us stay young and disease-free. This is good news for asthma and bronchitis patients. A daily dose of laughter is anti-ageing and beats any pill on the market.
😎 A recent study at Stanford concludes that laughter stimulates the parts of our brain that use the “feel good” chemical messenger dopamine. This puts laughter into the “necessary” category of activities that are pleasurably addictive, and more so in the myriads of health benefits that accrue. Perhaps even more important than the physical health benefits of laughter are the mental and emotional benefits, with the following results within easy reach:
• Vastly reduces mental and physical stress, anxiety and depression
• Enhances emotional intelligence (EQ), creativity and peak performance
• Enhances communication and teamwork, improves leadership skills
• Improves attitude, mood and self-esteem
• Clears negativity and develops personality and confidence
• Builds tolerance to connect people, fostering greater cooperation and harmony
• Replaces negativity with hope & optimism, enabling love, peace, joy and happiness
• Increases energy levels and productivity
• When we laugh, we exercise 15 muscles facial muscles which turn our faces pink with a happier glow – beats any cosmetic in replacing wrinkles and worry lines with the laugh lines of youth!
One of the best ways to lighten up is to laugh and release yourself from fear’s grip. Laughter instantly raises your energy, heals you and clears away negativity, confusion and mind chatter. Literally, it chases the devil away which is illusion, distortion, and confusion and instead re-energises you to lose your ego and merge with the divine.
Above all, laughter is “the shortest distance between two people” and improves interpersonal relationships. It removes your inhibitions, develops your personality and enhances your leadership qualities.
Join the Laughter Yoga adventure to happiness and good health. Laughter Yoga is a mind/body experience. Learn to laugh because you can to be happier and healthier. Make laughter your exercise of choice. Laughter is a mild cardio exercise that needs no special equipment and anyone can do sitting or standing. Laughing costs no money, it is not invasive and it has good side effects.
Join the fun at the Funny Farm Laughter Club Sundays at 7 PM
May 14, 21 & 28
and June 4 & 11
Maybe laughter really is the best medicine? Try. See if it is the best medicine for you.
Funny Farm Laughter Club meets at Perfect Christmas Tree Farm, 999 US H’way 22, Phillipsburg NJ 08865. Telephone: 908-763-1945
Like us on Facebook
Celebrate World Laughter Day, May 7, 2017, anytime from sunrise to sunset at the Funny Farm Laughter Club.
World Laughter Day is a free community event created in 1998 by Dr. Madan Kataria, founder of the worldwide Laughter Yoga movement. Now it is celebrated in all the major capitals of the world and in cities large and small. For the 3rd year, Perfect Christmas Tree Farm in Phillipsburg NJ is hosting the Celebration of World Laughter Day.
The aim is to promote intentional laughter as a way toward World Peace. It is possible to build a global consciousness of brotherhood and friendship through laughter. Laughter works because it is the universal language of friendship and because laughter is contagious. The celebration of World Laughter Day is a positive manifestation for World Peace.
Join us. Come play. Meet new people. Lose your inhibitions. Liberate your laughter. No experience necessary. No equipment required. Not limited by age, ability or nationality. Laughter is free for everyone.
Try Laughter Yoga at Sunrise at 5:45 AM, before lunch at 12 Noon and at Sunset at 8 PM.
Spend some of Sunday, May 7 at the Funny Farm. Socialize, revitalize and exercise. Discover a new happiness workout, meet our community and promote World Peace. All are welcome.
The Perfect Christmas Tree Farm, 999 US 22, Phillipsburg NJ 08865, hosts the Funny Farm Laughter Club and the plans for simple Spring pleasures: Laughter Yoga, a drum circle, hay rides, seed bomb making, refreshments. We are a pet-friendly farm.
Questions: contact Cynthia Curtis. 908-763-1945 by voice or text.
On Mon, Jan. 9, at the Phillipsburg Free Public Library, Certified Laughter Yoga Leader, Cynthia Curtis leads an hour-long session starting at 3 PM. After some basic breathing exercises followed by childlike play activities, contagious, infectious laughter spreads. For 21 years Laughter yoga, a simple yet profound whole-body exercise method, has been moving the world toward health, happiness, and peace.
Laughter Yoga is designed for anyone who wants to feel good. It is based on the scientific fact that the body cannot differentiate between voluntary and involuntary laughter. A person gets the same physiological and psychological benefits if the laughter is real or fake.
Laughter helps to change your mood by releasing feel-good endorphins into the blood. Laughter is a healthy cardio exercise that beats stress. Laughter is a positive energy. If you laugh more you attract more friends. Anyone can laugh for no reason without relying on humor or comedy without special equipment or advanced training, available free, 24/7. Start now and become a ‘Daily Laugher.’ Join a worldwide peace movement started by an Indian Physician Madan Kataria and his yoga teacher, wife, Madhuri.
Come see what it’s all about.
The Funny Farm Laughter Club at Perfect Christmas Tree Farm in Phillipsburg NJ is the place to practice happiness. We all have the ability to laugh and be happy. Laughter transcends status, class, age, race and culture, and we all laugh in a similar way. Laughter is a gift we all have, and we can give it to each other because laughter is contagious. People can catch it from one another.
Liberate your laughter. Become playful and laugh as children do. Studies show that playfulness and laughter create positive emotions in all age groups. Laugh for exercise. Laughter Yoga burns calories. More oxygen reaches the lungs when you laugh and you breath more deeply. Laughter increases blood circulation to the brain and body. Laughing reduces stress and boosts creativity. Laughter exercises the body and the brain.
After twenty minutes of Laughter Yoga, Dopamine, Oxytocin, Serotonin and Endorphins are released into your bloodstream. They are peptides that activate the body’s opiate receptors, causing an analgesic effect. Take these feel good feelings home to your family and friends and infect them with laughter. Better, bring them along to the Funny Farm.
The farm is easy to find.
Take Interstate I-78 to exit 3. Go 2.5 miles on Highway 22. Look for a big sign that looks like this: at 999 US Highway 22 in Lopatcong Township, Phillipsburg NJ 08865. It is an easy drive from NYC and Philadelphia, only sometimes. Like us at https://www.facebook.com/funnyfarmlaughterclub/
RSVP if possible, so I know how much space to allocate. Walk-in laughers are always welcome. Phone Cynthia at 908-387-1225 or 908-763-1945 for more information. Cynthia is available to laugh with your group. She has experience laughing with the senior population at nursing homes and assisted living facilities, cancer recovery groups and with the general public at the local library.